Hysterectomy Date

It’s been a while and I’ve been meaning to make this post for a few weeks now.

As you can see from the title, I have a date to have my “innards” removed. I am having a total hysterectomy on November 2nd. I will be having this operation in the town/city I currently live in, so travel logistics are not a concern this time.

There are concerns about what to do with my dog, how to explain this to work, how to hide/explain this to my roommates (I live stealth and they do not know about my transsexual status), how to care for myself when my mom leaves, etc. I plan on updating about these issues as I get them figured out/resolved.

About my procedure though. The hospital where I will be having my surgery has banned the use of the da Vinci Surgical System, which makes performing laparoscopic surgeries very easy. This is not to say that there are not cons to the machine, which you can read about in the link. Either way what this means is due to my physical anatomy I have a 60% chance of having a laparoscopic surgery or a 40% chance of having an abdominal surgery (traditional hysterectomy). I am obviously not enthused about an abdominal hysterectomy, but my surgeon does come highly recommended not only by my doctor (prescribes testosterone, works with countless transgender patients), but also by a friend (transsexual) that used her. This surgeon has also treated other transsexual patients in the area, so it’s not her first rodeo. I would rather have the best surgery for my body than have someone jack it up by trying to give me what I want. We will see what I get when I wake up, basically.

So, there’s a lot to think about in the next month and a lot to prepare for. Surgery is always stressful, but I want to make very clear how grateful I am to have insurance coverage that is making this possible. Without this coverage, not only would this surgery not be possible, but neither would my upcoming lower surgery, which you can read about here: https://tntransman.wordpress.com/2016/09/23/lower-surgery-announcement-phone-consult/

This surgery experience is going to be very different from before, but not only because it’s more invasive. Last time, I had a girlfriend who was there to support and care for me (even if our relationship was on the rocks), I lived in my own place, and everyone who was around me knew what was going on, including my job. I’ve gotten very used to being on my own and being self-reliant (almost to a fault, perhaps), but I will need help and support through this and currently that’s my biggest worry.

I’ll be documenting all of this as I go and I hope that my experiences and information can provide hope to those living in the Southeast specifically, as I’ve stated in this blog all along.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Hysterectomy Date

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: